Tuesday, July 31, 2012

my v. own pintuck duvet 'cover'

Husband woke up to a new duvet the other morning, as I had finally finished my $28 version of the West Elm pintuck duvet and had sneaked it onto the duvet while he was sleeping!




I am really happy with how it turned out - although it definitely took longer than expected since my sewing machine was acting up so much and I ended up doing all the tucks by hand! I love how it doesn't get/look wrinkly, and it looks so nice and puffy. And I made it to fit my duvet perfectly.

This duvet style is seriously Ev.Ry.Where. West Elm, Anthropologie, and Pottery Barn all have a verison of various puffy-ness, and I also found countless tutorials online for homemade versions. West Elm's version (in ivory) is even on their home page today - looks pretty similar, right?! Except for my average photography skills, of course ;) 

Yum, now I need a bold blanket for the foot of the bed, right?!
I've drooled over this duvet cover for at least a year now - but didn't want to pay the ~$100 price tag. Especially as I'd read that the West Elm version is only 250 thread count and the pin tucks rip easily. Hmm.

So when I found this December Skye tutorial through Pinterest, I decided to give it a try. I read all the tutorials I could find (by googling 'pintuck duvet tutorial') and fine-tuned how I wanted to do mine. I did a white pillow for practice first (the one shown on my bed) and I'm really glad I did - it gave me a chance to perfect my plan. Since there are a million tutorials out there already, I shall just give you a quick overview:

1. Flat sheets are hard to find by themselves! I found two white queen-size sheets at Target.com for about $28. With my Target debit card I get 5% off plus free shipping, and I went through Ebates.com for another 4% off. Only a little savings but it about paid for my thread! ;) Some tutorials advise buying king sheets for a queen duvet, but I found the Target queen sheets to fit my duvet perfectly.

2. Wash/dry sheets first. I usually am not this detailed, but I was being slow to be sure this project went perfectly. Also washing the sheets took out the wrinkles from from being folded in their packaging, which helped a lot in pinning/sewing the tucks!

3. Choose tuck density. I made a cardboard square (the purple square in the drawing) to use for my pattern and drew lines across its centers (shown in grey), like this (please excuse my v. shady drawing skills):
I put a pin at every red x in the drawing. This worked great for arranging the tucks! My spacing (ie cardboard square) was 10" horizontally and 7" vertically. Since my tucks didn't take up fabric in the vertical direction, this worked out to almost-squares in the finished product (I wanted them a little elongated almost-squares).

4. Sew a billion tucks. There are a few different methods you can use for making the tucks. I tried them all on my practice pillow and decided my favourite: I folded three 1/3 inch-ish pleats and sewed two lines down the pleats to hold them in place. About halfway through I started doing three x stitches down the pleats instead - this went faster for some reason. Ha. Here's what it looks like:



I didn't sew all the way past the end of the pleats so that you don't see the thread from the top side. Here's a closeup of the top:


If you use the machine, this part of the process would probably go faster - but I love how sturdy it is with my hand-stitching!

Oh yes and some people only do pintucks on one side of the cover.  I did both sides for optimal puff and versatility. ;)

5. Pin the two finished sides together, measuring to ensure a good fit with your duvet. Again I took my sweet time on this step, but it paid off! I added pleats in the top and bottom to simulate continued tuck pattern and make the whole thing 'lie' nicer. Pinning the sides is easy. The only cut I made at the end was cutting about 13" off the top. Since the pleats 'tuck' in the horizontal direction, I could have made this cut at the beginning, but I didn't realize it. It would be easier (but scarier) to cut before doing the tucks, since it was a bit difficult to find/keep a level edge after doing the tucks.

6. Sew duvet together, leaving room for inserting duvet. Add extras like buttons/buttonholes and/or ties or buttons in the corners inside for attaching duvet. I haven't added the extras yet...I was ready to have a break after all the hand sewing!

And yes I stood there in the middle of the night and took a photo of my complete-and-still-empty duvet cover:


I couldn't wait for the morning when I could take the real After photos!




And at night:




Am v. happy with results. Must peek in on it once in a while enjoy it. Next bedroom refresh project...some tornado wood???

Also we've been playing with rearrangement of the living room lately...next post will probably be nerdy discussion of sofa and chair layout. And did any of you get my double meaning in title of duvet 'cover'? Because I 'covered' the West Elm version?? *_*

Update: Can't believe it's been a month and a half since I made this! It still looks brand new, despite all the lounging we do on it because of its puffy comfy-ness, and wrinkles still don't show at all. I haven't had any issues with pleats ripping - perhaps because of my sheets' 300 thread count? I seriously love this duvet cover - making the bed every morning is fun with its happy puffiness!

20 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks awesome. Nice double meaning in the title. I'm not sure I would have caught it without you saying something at the end, but boy did I laugh when I got it. Haha. I'm not sure if I'd want to do a whole duvet cover, but I love the idea of doing it on a small throw pillow cover. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Haha yay you got it ;) Yah it took a looong time - about 4 hours per side plus 4 hours to pin/sew together. I didn't make v. much per hour - but at least I was also watching the Olympics ;) The pillow was much more rewarding to make and much shorter effort! I used a 6" cardboard square for my throw pillow, but I think I would use more like 8"x6" next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning! Well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay thank you! It is holding up great so far too...I love how this style always looks poofy and never looks wrinkly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey this looks great! I'm glad that you made it. You did more pintucks over your duvet cover than I did and I think it looks better. Thanks for linking to my blog! I really appreciate it! - Skye from December Skye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Skye! I meant to go tell you that I linked to you and can't remember if I did - glad you came over to visit! I was scared to do that many pin tucks, but was lucky to have your photos to go off of so I tried it. Thanks soo much for your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this is simply gorgeous! I love that you made your own but what totally cracked me up was how you slipped in onto the duvet while Hubs was sleeping! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha thanks Tanya!! Right?! I felt v. happily sneaky ;) And ooh I love your blog, so glad you commented so that I could see your blog! I have to try your wool billy buttons!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for actually showing *how* you did it! I've been trying to figure out how to do this for days. I want to use it to make a Christmas tree skirt and so many pages I found didn't include a how, just a finished project. It looks so lovely on your bed, though, that I may have to do one for there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Ashley!! Sorry I was so slow in replying, I was out of the country for a little while! Yay I'm glad this post helped you! I'd love to see what you come up with for a Christmas tree skirt, that sounds like a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your detailed instructions, especially #5. I'm almost finished with a twin size. I forgot to curve the corners to fit the curves on the down comforter, as well as insert the interior ties. I needed a break too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi JK! That's great that you're almost done making one!! I would love to see photos if you have a blog or post them! Haha seriously one needs a break by the time you finish. I still haven't made ties for the corners or even sewn buttons for the bottom closure ^_^ but it still looks gorgeous and puffy and hasn't torn at all! I've even washed it a few times on the 'permanent press' setting. I love how it doesn't even look wrinkly coming out of the dryer because the pattern already has some artful 'wrinkle' to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I finished and she sleep under it last night. I used velcro strips for the bottom closure and grosgrain ribbon for the ties. It looks elegant and fluffy at the same time. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks gorgeous JK!! Wow! And great idea on the velcro and ribbon! Thanks for sharing the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that looks great. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! How would you go about making a comforter like this instead of a duvet cover? Any ideas??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Taylor! Hmm that's a good question how to make it as a comforter! You could get batting from a fabric store (either the fluffy stuff or the stuff that comes in rolls), and then 'stuff' it with the batting at the end ('roll' it out inside if you got the stuff that comes in a roll). I don't know much about making comforters, but seems like you'd want to then sew a stitch all the way through both sheets, after stuffing it, in each place that you have a tuck, to anchor the batting so it doesn't get bunched up in one section of the comforter.

      But if it's the cost of a duvet you're concerned about, if you live near an Ikea you could get one fairly inexpensively. I think that would be a lot easier.

      Let me know if you come up with something, I'm curious now! :)

      Delete
  17. Beautiful Job! Love Love It!! I have a smaller bed in a granddaughters room that she uses when we babysit her and I am going to make a pink one for it! Can't wait to get started. I have a blog also if you like projects. www.cynsew.com Have a great day! Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia! The sewing projects on your site look so cool! I'd love to see the pink duvet cover when you finish it!

      Also so sorry for my slow reply! We've been in the process of moving the last week or two and I've been a bit less connected online. Great to hear from you!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! :)